Monday, December 28, 2009

Walgreens

OK, There is a whole thing out there about the drug store wars...there are often great sales at CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens, and combining them with whatever their store program is and manufacturers coupons, can save you a LOT! In fact, many of these frugal people get things free or "make money" on their drug store shopping trips. I have not looked into CVS or Rite Aid yet, but I have used Walgreens and scored some good deals so far (nothing free and no moneymakers yet, but pretty lots of savings). In fact, last week, I bought 3 12 packs of Diet Coke, 4 coloring books, 3 boxes of tissues, and 4 Snow Globes, and I paid $13 total for it.

Walgreens has a thing called "register rewards" which is how people get "money makers. A register rewards basically means you purchase something for the regular or sale price, and at the end of your transaction you get a register reward back (basically like a coupon for money off you r next transaction) for purchasing that item. So, on my shopping trip the other day, Diet Coke was on sale for 3/$11, and if you bought 3, you got a RR (Register Reward) back for $3.

Most Walgreens will also let your "roll over" your transactions, meaning you can do separate transactions so you can use your register rewards right away (I have heard about some Walgreens not letting you use them the same day thought it seems to be rare). So in the case of my transactions, I paid for the 3 Diet Coke 12 packs first. Then in my second transaction, I had coupons from my local Walgreens ad for the coloring books & tissues, and the snow globes were on sale. I used the 2 coupons and my $3 RR (the one I had just gotten for the Diet Cokes). So, I spend $10 in my first transaction (and got a $3 RR back). I used all the coupons, including the RR with the second transactions, and paid only $3 total for the 4 coloring books, 3 boxes of tissues, and 4 Snow Globes.

So, check out your local Walgreens ads and see what is on sale, what has RR, and what kind of deals you can get. Also, please check out the website http://iheartwags.com/ for the best Walgreen weekly match-ups (She will list the best deals to get using RR and coupons from the newspaper or online.) Give it a shot and let me know if you score any great deals!

Beckee

0 comments: