Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Money Saving Tip: Ideas to Freshen up Leftovers

This may not look like much to you, but it is one of my favorite ways to use left over rice. And I ate it for lunch today. I love when I can find a way to freshen up a leftover and enjoy it again-which BTW saves me a lot of money!
This week so far, we did BBQ Chicken on Monday. We had family over, and I intentionally BBQed more meat than I needed by a couple of breasts. I served it with lots of garlic bread and breadsticks, a tomato basil salad, and (my all time fave side dish) "funeral potatoes." I am not actually sure what people call "funeral potatoes" outside my church-we call them that because they are a popular side dish to bring and serve to the family after a funeral. It is essentially a hashbrown casserole with sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, shredded cheese, corn flakes and butter-easy and delectable! (If anyone wants my NOT low fat recipe for these-send me a note and I will email it to you).

So, after dinner Monday, the salad and potatoes were gone, but I had chicken and garlic bread left. On Tuesday, Wes and I cut the 3 chicken breasts we had left into strips, added some frozen (EASY) stir fry veggies and sauce, cooked up some rice and called it dinner!

We had rice left, so for lunch I made the EASIEST yummy left over rice treat/meal (I usually eat it as a dessert or treat, but today I ate it for lunch). It is my mom's recipe and I guess you could call it a poor mans rice pudding. It is just leftover rice, cinnamon and sugar to your taste and milk. Microwave for like 2 minutes and enjoy!! (My other favorite thing for left over rice is fried rice)

Tonight we are having Spaghetti and sauce with corn on the cob. I will be serving the left over garlic bread and garlic breadsticks with it!

I love "repurposing" food! It is the best when the kids have no clue they are eating leftovers!! What are your best leftover reuses?!


Photobucket

0 comments: