Wednesday, August 29, 2012

New show coming to NET (and other PBS stations) Look awesome!

Hi there! I am Beckee, the goofball behind Beckee's Deals, and here are a couple things you way not know about me. Back in my pre-children days, I was first an actress (local theatre-nothing fancy) and then I got a degree in Theatre Education and I was a drama teacher (in many areas-summer camps, elementary schools, but mostly in high school). Being "trained" in theatre is a double edged sword because it makes me a sucker for some good entertainment, and it also makes me super picky. Now, combine those little tidbits from my past with the fact I am now a (broke) mom of 5 kids under the age of 10 and you have me in a nutshell: A picky mom looking for free quality entertainment for my kiddos.

I have to admit that overall, most of the current programing on TV right now for kids is totally unwatchable to me. I put on a show for the kids and can hardly stand to hear it as I work. When I am going to watch a show with them, I seek out my old go to shows-Sesame Street and Mr Rogers Neighborhood being my faves!

So, when I was told about the new show coming to NET (Nebraska's PBS Station) I could not wait to tell you about it! The new show is called Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood. That is all I needed to hear to pique my interest because any good lifelong Mr Rogers fan like myself should instantly recognize the name of Daniel Tiger! Let me tell you a bit about the show (as provided to me):
Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, is a new, vibrant animated series designed for preschoolers ages 2-4 airing on NET-1 and NET-HD starting Monday, September 3rd.
·        Series Description: Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood is based on the legacy of Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood) and features the children of his original, beloved Neighborhood of Make-Believe characters. In Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, 4-year-old Daniel Tiger talks directly to young audience members, inviting them into his colorful world. He is joined by his friends O the Owl, Katerina Kittycat, Prince Wednesday and Miss Elaina. Together, through imagination, creativity and music they learn the key social skills necessary for school and life!

·        Show Legacy: Fred Rogers influenced generations of children for more than 40 years with his high standards for early childhood education and creativity, as well as his love and respect for the children who grew up watching him. Parents of today who remember watching Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood may find many elements of Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood familiar. The theme song contains the classic “It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” refrain, and Daniel puts on his sweater and shoes just like Mr. Rogers did. Your children will love meeting the children of your favorite Neighborhood of Make-Believe characters – Daniel Tiger is the son of the Daniel Striped Tiger, Katerina Kittycat is the daughter of Henrietta Pussycat, Miss Elaina is the daughter of Lady Elaine Fairchilde and Prince Wednesday is the youngest son of King Friday!

Seriously, I am a fan of Mr Rogers! That man was amazing, so I am excited about this show, but I am not going to lie, I always thought Daniel Tiger was a tad bit whiny for my taste. Well, I think they solved that problem in the series. Check out this short clip of what you can expect:

Hungry for more RIGHT NOW (like Kindle, my 4 year old is)? You can also watch the first episode “Daniel’s Birthday” on the NET Kids website by clicking here

Nebraska Viewer of NET here is the low down on when it is on: Starting Monday, September 3rd, Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood will air Monday - Friday at 11 am CT, 11:30 am CT, 1:30 pm CT, and 2:00 pm CT and on Sundays at 8:30 am CT.  The show will air at the above times on both NET-1 and NET HD.  For more information on the NET schedule, visit: http://www.netnebraska.org/television/sched/   (If you are not in Nebraska-you will have to check your local PBS station to see when it is on-I just saw a commercial here in AZ for it!)

Also, There is some fun Web content everyone should go check out: First, the Daniel Tiger website at http://pbskids.org/daniel.  The website contains games that supplement the lessons learned on the show, printables like coloring pages of the new characters and video from the newest episodes.  Also, You can also visit the NET Kids site for videos, printables and more at: http://www.netnebraska.org/television/kids/index.html.

Please note by way of disclosure that I was provided this information to share with you but was not compensated in any was for sharing it! I just wanted to! :)
Photobucket


0 comments: