Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Local Readers! Philippines Relief project-Donations still welcome until tonight!

Local Readers, mid week last week, I took on a big project through our church which you may have read bout on Grays Harbor Deals. I just wanted to give one plea today for donations. If you are able to donate, we are still taking donations today. We will be putting the donation boxes together at my house tonight at 7pm, but we can take donations all the way until then! 
The items we can send are: 
  • Diapers
  • Wet Wipes
  • Canned Goods (or really non-perishable food items)
  • Blankets (can be used but need to be clean)
  • Sleeping bags (can be used but need to be clean)
Some of you have asked about how this project came to be so I thought I would explain a little about that. As a little background, my husband lived int eh Philippines for 2 years serving as a missionary for our church. He was int he Quezon City area near Manila. about 10 ears later, his youngest brother served as well as a missionary for our church in the Philippines. His mission area was the Tacloban area. A few weeks ago Typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines devastating the area of Tacloban where my brother-in-law lived just a couple years ago. 

I wanted to figure out a way to help, and was recently asked at church to be in charge of Humanitarian aid projects for our congregation. I knew that we needed to find a way to help. I felt a personal connection and a deep desire to help but did not know how. (I am in charge of Humanitarian aid projects but not good at them).

Last week a lady in my ward who is a Filipino-American called me and told me that she and another member from the Philippines had learned about a really neat way we could help. They had learned that LBC express would be shipping, for free, items of most need to the Philippines. But there were a few kinks for us. First the nearest LBC company is about a 2 hour drive away, we had to pack up and ship in their boxes, and we had a limited time to do it-the last day they are accepting donations is 11/27 (tomorrow). All donations need to be boxed and labeled and to them by then. So, my friend who discovered this great opportunity called LBC, got a list of acceptable items for us to donate and drove out there last Friday to pick up boxes.

My friend Annaleise at  Grays Harbor Deals asked her readers if they had businesses we could use as drop off locations (so I did not have to post my address online) and from there the project has taken off. Tonight we will put all the donations into properly labeled boxes, and tomorrow I will drive them to the LBC store with my 2 year old to make the donation.

I have not picked up the donation boxes at the businesses, but I have had quite a few items dropped off at my house. Check out my living room pile of donations right now:


There is quite a bit, but we could always use more! So, if you are able and willing to donate something today, please drop it off at my house or at one of the following drop locations: 

Jodesha Broadcasting – 1520 Simpson Ave, Aberdeen
Monday & Tuesday, 8:30am – 5:00pm
GH Unders – 717 K Street, Hoquiam (the old Hoquiam Aquatic Center across from Hoquiam Food Bank)
Monday & Tuesday, 7:30am – 5:00pm

Please note at drop off locations the boxes are red totes labeled "Philippines Disaster relief." At my house there is a gray tub on the porch or you can just ring the doorbell.

THANK YOU ALL!!!
Photobucket


0 comments: