Wednesday, March 1, 2017
- Cafe Zupas: Multiple Locations. I cannot go to Utah without eating here. usually multiple times until the rest of the family is sick to death of it. I LOVE it. There are multiple locations as it is a chain, and it's not just in Utah. Try it if you get the chance. You won't regret it. I pretty much dream about the Lobster Bisque soup and the Nuts About Berries Salad! I'm drooling just thinking about it! YUM!
- Cafe Rio: Multiple locations. Oh.My.Goodness! Cafe Rio's Sweet Pork Barbacoa burrito served enchillada style-pretty much a perfect food! Made to order as you walk through the (likely to be long, but fairly fast moving) line. Do you prefer Salad? That's ok too because they have awesome Salads!
- CK Cummings: When I think of high quality chocolates and major treats, this is what I am thinking about! NOTHING compares to their Chocolate Covered (Fresh) Raspberries and Cherries. Oh.My.Gosh. HEAVEN! Their truffles are also amazing and their seafoam is one of my all time favorite treats in the world. Yummy.
- Yanni's Greek Express: 2761 S Highland Dr, Salt Lake City, UT 84106. This is a close to home favorite. My family is Greek and Yanni's is close to where I grew up. I LOVE the Yanni's special. It is huge! We order 2 of them and it is enough food for my family to share. Seriously! But, SO.GOOD! I haven't been there in a few years but it remains a top fave! (Yanni's does not have a website, but this site has a scanned in, but old-prices are higher now I think-menu.)
- Crown Burger: Multiple Locations. I haven't eaten anything here I didn't like. If you want a greasy piece of high calorie heaven, make sure to try The Crown Burger! It is amazing. Their Greek food is awesome as well! My daughter orders their Greek Salad every time.
- Granatos: Two Locations. This is actually an Italian store and deli. My Greek family buys ingredients here for our Greek foods, but we also love the Deli. It is like the best deli food ever. EVER. I always order a hard roll Feta and Tomato sandwich or Meatball sandwich. They have lots more than sandwiches though. Check out the menu here.
- Smiths and/or Harmons: Weird, why does Beckee insist on visiting 2 grocery stores while at home in Utah? Doubly Weird, why are neither of them her favorite grocery store, the one where she worked in high school and college (Dan's)? Well, I will tell you why. I have a very favorite, very specific soda, that I can only find sold in Utah at Smith's and Harmon's. Diet Code Red Mountain Dew. Yeah, I can get the full sugar version all over, but I don't drink sugary drinks and I LOVE Diet Code Red Mountain Dew. I literally buy all I can and load up the back of my Suburban with it when I visit. I am sure there is a surge in sales when I am in town. YUM...please tell me how I can get a local store to carry and sell this?!
- The Happy Sumo: This is my families favorite Sushi place. We go to the one at the bottom of Cottonwood canyon. It is good, and has one unique roll that I love and I dream about, (Mango Mamma Roll, you can see it and their whole selection on their menu here). But honestly, as of my last Utah trip, it is on it's way to being replaced by my next pick...
- Ichiban Sushi: Last time we went to Utah, this gem was around the corner from our hotel, so we gave it a try. I will go back for the Lion roll alone, but there were SO.MANY. amazing things on this menu. I did not get to try near enough of them. And the fact I can order take out here...Golden! I cannot wait to visit again this summer!
- Nielsens frozen custard: Only missed my list because I am not a huge fan of ice cream or frozen yogurt. But I will tell you that if the craving does come, there is no other place I would want to go. This was also a date night staple for my neighborhood during high school. It is just that impressive. You will want to take a date here (if he or she likes frozen Custard). (Apparently there is a location in Layton as well, in case you are there...)
- The Pie Pizzaria: Ask any student at the University of Utah (or any alumni) for the best pizza joint. They will likely send you to The Pie. And apparently since I moved they have opened lots of new locations (you used to have to go to the original by the U). HUGE pizzas, really good. Do not miss! (Only reason it's not on my personal must eat list is because I sadly cannot eat pizza these days.)
- Old Spaghetti Factory: I know this is not exclusive to SLC, but it is SOOO good, and so worth the stop. It was another popular place for date nights as a high school and college student. Great food at a fun location in Trolley Square. Their fresh warm bread is amazing and I cannot resist their Garlic Mizithra pasta. Also, make sure you splurge on their Italian Cream Soda to drink. The drink is awesome as is the souvenir cup you get to take home!
- Arctic Circle: Only not on my must visit list because (Praise the Lord) there is one in Yakima!!!! YEAH! So, here's the deal on this fast food gem...FRY SAUCE! The best there is. I often stop there for a Lime Rickey (traditional grape flavored one, not this newfangled cherry version) and fries with fry sauce. On occasion I will get a burger (or a Gyro which they have and are surprisingly pretty good), but for me this place is all about the Lime Rickeys and Fry sauce.
- Market Street Grill; Oh My Gosh. The first time I realized I might like seafood was when I ate at Market Street Grill as a young girl. It is not super cheap, but it is super good. If you want a nice meal and are willing to spend a little more, eat here. Do it!
- Brick Oven Pizza: When I went to BYU (for about a half a year), I ate here a lot. Because it is awesome. But the pizza was not what I went for-eat the Pasta bar buffet. It is SO good! Salad bar + pasta bar = perfection! It is not on my list because I rarely get to Provo, but there is a location in South Jordan now!! Which is where my in laws live, so that's basically awesome!!!
- Salt Lake Greek Festival: If you happen to be in Salt Lake City near my birthday in September, DO NOT MISS the Salt Lake Greek Festival. You will not find better food (unless you can convince my mom and XiaXia to make you some)! This is the event I miss most every year, and the food I crave the most. It will be crowded, there will be lines, and you may not understand what everyone is saying (unless you speak Greek), but I promise it will be worth it. (Note, this year, 2017, the festival is Sept 9-11).
- Granite Bakery: Looking for a sweet treat? Want some awesome rolls (that taste home made without making a mess of your kitchen)? Stop by Granite Bakery. (They also do cakes for special occasions, like weddings if you are looking for that sort of a thing)
- So Cupcake: Do you like cupcakes? You will after you stop here...I am not much of a fan of cake, but I love frosting and occasionally have a craving for cupcakes. So, Cupcake was the first "cupcake bakery" I ever went to and I loved it. I try to stop in for a cupcake or two when I am in town. Try it for an excellent sweet treat!
- Great Harvest Bread: Bread, lots of different kinds of amazing bread that you will dream about. Really. And that is not all they have-they serve Breakfasts, sandwiches for lunch and tasty desserts as well! Go.Here. (Look at this menu from the Holladay location to see what they have)
I KNOW there are lots of favorite spots I have left off this list...what are your favorites?!
Labels: Arctic Circle, Cafe Rio, Crown Burger, Cummings, Favorites, Food, Granatos, Granite Bakery, Great Harvest, Greek Festival, Happy Sumo, Ichiban, Market Street, Nielsens, Old Spaghetti, So Cupcake, The Pie, Utah, Zupas | 0 comments
I took some crap for the inclusion of a 49er and the exclusion of a Seahawk (I live in Washington State). Also my son (aka #TomBradysBiggestFan) thought I was a MORON for excluding Brady (to be fair, I basically excluded him because I thought his looks were over rated).
A couple weeks ago, one of my FB friends posted the following:
I LOVE this stuff, so I reposted it and one of the Top 5 lists my husband posted for me to do was top five Best Looking QBs Now, in 2017. Again, Challenge Accepted!
Here was my answer this time (In no particular order):
So, Brady finally made it (to the great relief of #TomBradysBiggestFan) as well as Alex Smith. And the three that remained consistent were Phillip Rivers, Colin Kaepernick, and EJ Manuel.
Why do I bring this up today? Because thinking of Top 5 lists lately has made me wonder about my top posts on this blog. So, I am going to try, in the next post, to talk a little about the top posts on this blog, so far. It could be interesting information (for me at least, and hopefully for you as well).
More on that coming soon, in the mean time, feel free to stare at the pictures above of the handsome NFL QBs.
Labels: #TomBradysBiggestFan, #TopFive, Alex Smith, Beckees Deal, Colin Kaepernick, EJ Manuel, Football, Matt Barkley, Matt Leinart, NFL, Philip Rivers, Tom Brady | 0 comments
Thursday, February 2, 2017
- Zesta Cucina: This is one of my favorite place right now. I love, LOVE their Crab Cakes served over amazing risotto! Plus any restaurant that serves me warm bread with vinegar and oil on the table to start wins my heart! :)
- Kyoto Sushi and Japanese Steakhouse: AND this is my other favorite place. You can get sushi, kitchen items, or have them cook on the table for you (Or any combination of the three). I crave their crabmeat salad! YUMMY! There is something for everyone here.
- Carousel French Cuisine: Wes and I happened upon this gem one night shortly after moving to Yakima. The building doesn't look like much and you could easily walk right past and never know it's there. But Oh my goodness! It is awesome food. Not cheap, but I loved it. I am excited to go back again sometime soon! (PS, this is the only French restaurant I have ever been to so it was extra special for me!)
- Second Street Grill: This is more of a sports bar feel place with great food. Lots of options-huge menu, and for those that drink, there is seemingly unending alcoholic options (well, it seems that way to this non-drinker anyway).
- Xochimilco: Looking for some great Mexican food? This is my favorite place here for that (so far). Everything is really yummy here. I have tried the fajitas and one of the salads. Both were awesome!
- Abby's Pizza: I am not sure if this one goes here or in the next category because they will deliver to your house, but they also have a restaurant you can eat at. All I know for sure is my kids LOVE their pizza and think it is the best! They also have lots of other menu items, so I can order something I can eat as well.
- Cowiche Canyon: OK, I almost didn't put this one here because they have BLOWN it with my husband to the point that he won't go there now. We go there for the appetizers mostly-they have the best Guacamole I have ever had that was not homemade. But out ultimate favorite item, the one that kept me going back was their Grilled Artichoke appetizer. It is Ah-mah-zing! BUT, even though it is still on their menu, the last two times we went there the server has very snottily told us they no longer serve it, at least for a while. UG. If they get that back, I might return. If you go there, the only Entree I ever eat is the Prawn and Avocado Salad, and my husband only likes their Roasted Prime Rib entree.
And these may be chains/fast food (meaning multiple locations either locally or nationally), but I am so glad they are here:
- MOD pizza: My families favorite food for sure in Yakima. The kids request MOD pizza almost every day. Here's the thing that's so awesome about it. You customize your pizza in a similar way to how you customize a sandwich as Subway. They grab a crust and you choose EVERYTHING from there, then they wood fire the pizza for your eating enjoyment. Now, I don't eat pizza (it sadly makes me sick), but they have a delightful option called a pizza salad. They wood fire up a crust which you can eat like bread sticks and make a salad fully customized by you, then serve the salad on the pizza crust. It is heavenly! This is a MUST try place in Yakima as far as I am concerned. Probably the first place I will take visitors when they come to Yakima!
- Jimmy Johns: National sandwich chain know for being really fast. Add to that how GOOD it is, and it is a family fave!
- Papa Johns: I admit that since we do not currently live in their delivery area, we have not utilized this option yet, but I LOVE that it is here!
- Arbys: National chain famous for roast beef sandwiches. I have missed Arby's terribly. Yeah for a close one!
- Arctic Circle: A favorite fast food joint from high school. I would drive through and order a Lime Rickey and fries with fry sauce fairly often growing up. So glad to have one nearby for the first time in my adult life! My kids are finally discovering the joys of fry sauce!
- Sonic Drive In: When we were trying to sell our house in Omaha, we would eat here during Happy Hour quite a lot. I absolutely love their Hot Dogs-Chicago Dogs, and New York Dogs are my faves. Add to that a fully customized drink and tots and this is a happy girl.
There are some good treats here as well (but I am in search of more options for my sweet tooth):
- Boehm's chocolates: I bought a bunch of local treats here for my brother's mission farewell (he lived in Utah and was called to serve his LDS mission HERE in Yakima!). Lots of yummy treats to choose from here.
- Johnson's Orchard: I have only bought apples here, but I hear their pies and baked goods are amazing. I am afraid to try them as I am certain it will ruin all my weight loss goals...
- Waffles Caffe: I have not had the pleasure of going here yet, but Wes went with one of our kids on a father/son date here for breakfast a couple weeks ago and they haven't stopped talking about it. So it is on the short list.
- Creekside West: I have no clue why I have not been here yet since it is close to home, but I hear it is awesome.
Any other places I need to add to my list or go check out in Yakima?
Labels: Abbys Pizza, Boehms, Carousel, Cowiche Canyon, Food, Foodie Finds, Johnsons Orchard, Kyoto, MOD pizza, Second Street Grill, Xochimilco, Yakima, Zesta Cucina | 0 comments
Tuesday, January 31, 2017
- Crock Pot Meatballs
- Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies
- Guacamole and chips
- Frank's RedHot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Frank's RedHot Sweet Chili Cream Cheese Dip
- Chicken Wings (Wes makes these and they are awesome!)
- French Bread with vinegar/oil dipping sauce
- Veggie Tray
- Fruit Tray
- Large Sandwich
NOT a low calorie day, but for sure tasty and fun (and low key for me as far as cooking so I can enjoy the game!)
Any ideas of other awesome foods I could add to my Superbowl snack/apps day?!
- I pretty much always do turkey noodle soup the day after turkey.
- I feel like my Turkey Noodle soup has really, really bumped up a level since my mother-in-law introduced me to these amazing noodles (which you can find in your local freezer section). Reames Frozen Noodles:
Tuesday 1/31: Leftovers
- Guys, when you actually cook every night, the leftovers can build up fast, so it's a great idea to have a leftover night at least once a week or so. That's tonight's plan!
- Admittedly, some of my kids will not eat the stuff we have leftover, so we may end up supplementing with PB&J sandwiches or noodles and butter. We will see how it goes.
- The best thing I did during med school/residency when I was trying to meal plan like a boss, was to plan leftover days, then CLEAN OUT ALL the leftovers after that meal. Pull out all the leftovers from the week, let everyone pick and choose what they want, then when everyone has eaten, get rid of the old food, clean out that fridge! Make room for next week's leftovers. :)
Wednesday 2/1: Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese with Salad and Brussell Sprouts
- I might change the Brussell Sprouts to a different kind of veggie because we have eaten them a lot lately.
- This is a favorite meal for Wes and the kids, but it is not low cal, so that's why I make sure that we have salad and veggies with the grilled cheese and tomato soup.
- Also, since I cannot eat cheese or greasy foods, I will stick to the veggies and Salad for this dinner. BUT just because I cannot have it, doesn't mean the kids and Wes should miss out on a favorite meal!
Thursday 2/2: Crock Pot Chili with rolls
- This might be my favorite go-to meal in the winter especially. It is SO easy and so good!
- EASY is the goal for Thursdays because it is so crazy with kids activities! The crock pot is my friend on Thursdays-lets hope this week I remember to start the food in the morning. LOL
Friday 2/3: Chicken Pillows W/Broccoli and Salad
- This meal is a little bit of a thing to put it together, so I don't love to make it often, but it is THE favorite of several of my kids. They have requested this meal for weeks and weeks, so I finally put it on the meal plan-on a night when we have nothing else going on except date night for me and Wes!
- Before I share the recipe, let me note that when I make chicken pillows, the morning of, I take our my small crock pot and put in 2 or 3 breasts of chicken and cook them in the crock pot all day-then I shred the chicken instead of dicing it. Just a little change that makes it easier for me and I like it this way! :)
- The picture below is the Chicken Pillows recipe I use (thanks Mom!)
Here's the typed out version of the recipe:
2 Cups diced, cooked Chicken (or shredded)
8 oz Cream Cheese, Softened (sometimes I use more if I want it creamier)
1-2 onions, chopped
2-4 stalks celery, chopped
8 oz fresh mushrooms, cut
2 (or more-I usually use like 4) packages refrigerated crescent rolls
Seasoned bread crumbs
Gravy: Make a white sauce (1/4 C flour, 1/2 square butter, salt, pepper, and 2 C milk, one bullion cube for flavor) OR open can or 2 of cream of anything soup, OR Mix the white sauce with a can of cream of anything soup (this is what I do)
For the Pillows:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Saute onion, celery and mushrooms in olive oil or butter. Add to a bowl where you have already mixed the cream cheese and the chicken. Mix the veggie in. Drop by spoonfuls on to the center of a crescent roll, Close up the roll and pinch the edges closed. Roll in melted butter, then roll in the seasoned bread crumbs. Put on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Serve with gravy.
Saturday 2/4: Baked Potato Bar
- Dare I admit that this is basically another meal designed to use up leftovers? I put this meal after chili, broccoli, and the chicken pillow gravy intentionally so we can use all those items as possible toppings for the potatoes!
- Besides the leftover toppings, I will have available, butter, sour cream, ranch dressing, bacon, and various other options.
Sunday 2/5: Roast, Orzo, veggies, salad (will change to SUPERBOWL food!)
- Roast, Orzo, veggies and salad is the traditional Sunday meal for my family. It is awesome! But alas, this Sunday it will change!
- More on the Superbowl foods in another post
- Go Pats!
And there you have it! Meal Plans for this week!!!
Friday, January 27, 2017
Wednesday, January 25, 2017
Tuesday, January 24, 2017
Labels: #Family, Family, Getting Real, Meal Planning, Money Saving, Plan Ahead, Weekly Dinners | 0 comments